The Complete Wedding Checklist
First up, congratulations on your engagement. Now the fun begins. Weddings are extremely exciting, but take a lot of planning. Making sure you’ve got everything sorted in time is key to a stress free wedding. Remembering all the things you need to do before the big day can be tricky. Ensuring you haven't missed anything vital and have got everything planned just the way you want it is important. To help you make sure you aren't forgetting something, and to give you some guidance on timings, our experienced wedding coordinator has put together this wedding checklist:
As soon as you get engaged:
- Sit down with you fiance to decide roughly when you would like to get married. Deciding on a month and year can help when working out your budget.
- Figure out the budget. Most couples will have to do a little bit of saving, so take into consideration your desired wedding date to ensure this budget is realistic.
- Make a Pinterest board and start filling it with lots of wedding ideas to get a feel for how you might want your big day to pan out. Make sure you’re both in agreement with any overall theme.
- Host an engagement party. Send out invites to friends and family. If you’ve decided on a dedicated theme, start rolling with this now.
- Draw up a guest list. Knowing numbers like this will help when deciding on your venue. Start to gather addresses or email addresses for your guests so you can send them invites later down the line.
- Do some venue research. Get in touch with the wedding coordinators at the venues, ask for brochures and any questions. Explore our glorious waterside hotel venue here at Lion Quays. With a dedicated events team, here in Shropshire, we are host to glorious gardens and idyllic scenery. Speak to one of our wedding coordinators today.
- Make sure there is plenty of accommodation nearby (check Airbnb and local hotels) for your guests and check a few possible dates with important guests to avoid clashes. If you chose to get married at Lion Quays, your guests won't have to travel far at the end of the night. Our glorious hotel rooms are perfect for some well needed rest bite. You can even hire out the bridal suite for pre-wedding prep! Once you've agreed on a date, put the deposit down!
- Send out save the dates. Even if your wedding is a couple of years off, your guests can save their availability.
One year before your wedding:
- Book and pay for your registrars.
- Pop the question to your Maid of Honour and Bridesmaids. Think about how you could do this in a creative way while keeping to your wedding theme (if you have one).
- Start researching potential suppliers. Think about food, flowers, entertainment, decorations, a photographer, videographer. You also might want to consider a hair stylist and make-up artist here too. Think about friends and family who might be able to help you out with some of the above. For example, you may know someone who specialises in baking fabulous wedding cakes!
- Research options for venue and ceremony decorations. Again, use Pinterest to help you hear. You could even make some things by hand.
Nine months before your wedding:
- It’s dress time. Start by doing some initial research on boutiques that sell the style of dress you’re after. Book a few appointment to try on certain styles to see what suits you.
- Once you’ve chosen and paid for your dress it’s time to start thinking about bridesmaid dresses. Find a date where your bridal party are all free and book a dress fitting appointment. This gives them the opportunity to choose a style of dress they all like. It also means you can order dresses in the right sizes.
- Finalise and book your suppliers. Order the wedding cake and your transport.
- Start researching your honey money. Once you’ve designed your dream holiday, book it! (Make sure your passports are in date!)
Six months before your wedding:
- Give details of your ideal hen/stag do to your Maid of Honour/Best Man and let them get on with the planning. Did you know we offer great spa packages for those in need of a relaxing hen do?
- Make or order your wedding invitations and send them out to your guest list.
- Shop for the groom and groomsmen suits.
Three months before your wedding:
- Give three months legal notice to your registrar of priest.
- Assemble a wedding gift list (if you are choosing to have one). By creating an online list accessible to all your guests you limit the risk of getting double or unwanted gifts.
One month before your wedding:
- Arrange trial days for your hair and make-up. This is important to ensure you are happy with your final look on the day.
- Go with your partner to try on and choose your wedding bands. Make a romantic day of it!
- Think about wedding favours and bridesmaid gifts. Places like Not On The High Street have some lovely ideas for this kind of thing.
- Attend final wedding dress fitting to make sure you feel completely comfortable in your dress.
- Create your table plan - who’s sitting where? Design and print place cards ready for the big day.
One week before your wedding:
- Get your nails and tan done (if you are opting for this). If you’re nearby, our expert beauticians in our contemporary spa, will ensure a flawless finish while getting you excited for you big day. Explore more of our treatments here.
- If you’re heading off on your honeymoon the day after your holiday, make sure you’re all packed. Additionally, make sure you have an overnight bag for your wedding night.
The day before your wedding:
- Drop off any decorations, place cards, wedding favours and the table plan to the venue so the organisers can get started on setting up. Here at Lion Quays we cater to all your needs and really go that extra mile to ensure a stress free wedding day.
- Ensure all final balances are paid, you don’t want to be thinking about this while on honeymoon.
- Finally, rest up and get excited!