10 Exhilarating Things To Do Near By
Whether you have booked your visit over or are thinking of doing so soon, there is plenty to keep you occupied while staying with us.
At Lion Quays, we have a lot to offer. If it’s a relaxing break you’re in need of then we’ve got it all.
How about a day at the spa? There’s nothing better right? At Lion Quays we pride ourselves on our luxury spa and salon. Indulge in a full or half-day of relaxation and rejuvenation, spoil yourself with a treatment from one of our friendly beauticians or soak up the scene in our state-of-the-art sauna and steam rooms.
But, we get it, spas aren’t everyone, some of us just cant keep still. But, with our beautiful countryside surroundings offering more than just breath-taking landscapes, we truly believe we are set in the ideal location for the adventurer in all of us.
So, what’s near by I hear you ask? Plenty, we reply.
- Chirk Castle
There’s something about an old castle that connects within us all; may it be the history that sets the imagination running wild or simply the nature of what used to be.
Chirk Castle is all of 2.5 miles down the road from us here at Lion Quays. Just a short ten-minute drive away stands this medieval fortress, a castle that served in 1295 to keep the Welsh under English rule. Bursting with historic tales and boasting impressive interiors, Chirk guarantees an exciting day out.
2. We assume you’ve taken a little time for relaxation at least, but maybe it’s something more exhilarating you’re after while exploring our unique spot on this planet. How about white water rafting?
With two outdoor activity providers within close proximity you’re spoilt for choice. Llangollen Outdoors is just a mere 15 minutes up the road by car; situated in the heart of Llangollen town and perched on the edge of The River Dee. Ideal for a fanatic family day out or an exhilarating hen/stag do, Llangollen Outdoors offers activities such as rafting, tubing, gorge walking, canoeing, paintballing and much more.
It’s going to be a tiring day out, but we’ll be here on your return, to help you relax after an unstoppable Welsh adventure!
Llangollen Outdoors - http://www.llangollenoutdoors.co.uk/contact-us/
White Water Active, an organisation also located along The River Dee, offer similar activities including mountain biking and paddle sports as well as pre-designed stag and hen packages.
3. “Annnnd Roll On Rory has done it, he’s won again!”
The races, what a day out! Bring your fine wear and head down to Bangor-on-Dee Racecourse. Enjoy the flats in the summer with a glass of Pimms and the beaming sunshine (we hope) or the jumps in the winter with mulled wine and a cosy coat. Just 9 miles up the road Bangor-on-Dee Racecourse is a truly epic day out. With Ladies day landing on Friday the 4th of August this year (2017) prepare for some nail biting action!
4. Whether golf is your thing or it’s a member of your party who can’t keep of the course, Henlle Park Golf Club is only a five-minute car journey away and offers a breath-taking golfing landscape. Set upon beautiful Georgian Parkland and spread across 130 acres, this premium course also offers package deals which include delicious food to keep you going throughout the day.
Forgotten your kit? Henlle Park Golf Club even has a golf shop on site, providing an extensive range of the latest golfing gear.
5. Retail therapy… because spa therapy is hard work right?
Cheshire Oaks, the UK’s largest designer shopping outlet is just 30 minutes away. Offering a wide array of brands and stores, Cheshire Oaks is a great day out for those of us who love to splash the cash. We all love to grab a bargain, and with shops and brands such as Adidas, Burberry, Calvin Klien, Clarks, Levi’s, M&S and many more we can shop until our hearts content!
Make a day of it and head down for lunch or dinner, with a wide variety of restaurants on offer, take your pick from world famous Fish ‘n’ Chips, authentic Italian, easy American and much more in this state-of-the-art shopping village.
6. Bringing little ones with you, not to fret, Park Hall Countryside Experience provides endless fun and it’s only 3 miles up the road. But, its not just a great day for the kids, a baby piglet is always cute no matter your age! Bursting with animals, action and adventure you can get up to a whole bunch of things at Park Hall. Groom a pony, ride a tractor, attended the pig race, or the sheep show, ride the zip wire or the go-karts.
Park Hall Farm is also home to wonderfully fun yet extremely educational museums such as the Iron Age Roundhouse, The Victorian School Museum and Trenches through the Age.
7. Llangollen Canal is a stunning and idyllic canal that seamlessly wraps around Lion Quays. A 20 minute drive away Llangollen Canal provides a peaceful waterside walk. Surrounded by beautiful nature, the canal is home to picturesque narrow boats and the truly charming Horseshoe Water Falls.
With some hearty pubs along the way, there are plenty of chances to stop off and refuel.
Llangollen Canal is also home to Chirk Aqueduct, a world heritage site, this 70 foot high aqueduct dates back to the late 1700’s. A scenic infrastructure, ideal for stunning photographs.
We will be more than happy to provide you with directions and tips before your adventure, but for now, don’t forget to pack your torch for the tunnels!
8. If a walk isn’t what you fancy, or maybe you need a little more to keep the kids entertained, Llangollen Canal also offers horse drawn boat trips. Take a step back in time and experience the elegant scenery and finish the trip by stopping off at the tearooms and enjoying a little bite to eat.
9. Whether you’re an experienced horse rider or have never ridden before, Springhill Farm Stables caters for all sorts of guests, offering riding lessons from age 5 upwards. Teaching flat riding and jumps, Springhill Stables also share knowledge on grooming and tacking up.
Set in the beautiful Welsh countryside, Springhill Farm Stables is an enjoyable day out.
10. The Erddig Estate is a much loved National Trust stately home. Built upon 1,200 acres of land, many historical stories lay within. The aristocratic home boasts a unique collection of portraits exhibiting the house workforce and servants over a 200 year period as well as lavish furnishings.
Take a garden tour and learn the impressive history and design of the Erddig’s incredible Grade I listed garden (and be sure not to forget your picnic!).
So, here at Lion Quays we are surrounded by magnificent beauty and reverting entertainment and, if you find yourself just itching to find out more, give us a call, drop us an email or come and say hello at our front desk, we will be more than happy to help and point you in the right direction.